Saturday, July 14, 2012

Syd Barrett - Oddments


Here
Syd

Back in the mists of time, there was a Syd Barrett fanzine called Late Night run by a nice chap called Jon Allen. He & I exchanged several letters. What I am sharing with you here is a transfer of a cassette tape that Jon sent to me. I have made copies of portions of the tape for the nice folks at HRV in the past, but I have never transferred the entire tape previously.

There are quite a few interesting pieces available here, including a version of the Irene Winsby recording of Let's Roll Another One that is much longer than what you have heard before. Note that I said "longer" not "better quality" or "more interesting".. B-)

The "Mike Sparrow" radio show is another piece that I have never seen anywhere else...

There is an interesting "Reaction In G" that is clearly from a radio broadcast, as there is a female announcer. Unfortunately, she speaks in a language that is not English. Then, on the tape, there is about 15 seconds of pure silence, then the music resumes in much the same quality and possibly the same song. Neither segment is very long. Decide for yourselves if they belong together.

The quality of the Interstellar Overdrive is not great. But, it isn't the TLAMLIL or San Francisco version of the song - which is what usually turn up on bootlegs. This is something different - and it's complete, which is nice.

I've copied the Star Club side of the tape for a few people and they always give it high praise. I'm not going to tell you that it's better than the HRV version, however. But, give it a listen. It's not too terrible.

5 comments:

Ineluctable said...

Thanks for putting this up.

Tony

bobbydjr said...

This is one of the many reasons, as PF collector, I love your blog. Every once in a while you throw in a gem like this. Thank you so much.

wywh said...

A new nice discover for me.
Thank you very much for sharing this gem here.

rogue46 said...

This is a very nice collection. Thank you very much.

Ineluctable said...

Listened to both discs back-to-back completely spellbound. I have a lot of Syd, but this collection was new to me. The whole thing has a certain vibe/ambiance that may cause a hate it or love it reaction lol. Thanks, Doc.

Tony